Common errors in turtle habitat temperature control
1: Leaving your turtle to enjoy air-conditioning
Mostly unintentional, but this is a problem that seriously affects the turtle. It is easy to get sudden temperature changes when you have your turtle in an air-conditioned room and then turn off the air conditioner when you leave the room.
2: The turtle has not been in the sun in a long time
This results in a soft turtle, soft legs, malnutrition.
3: Temperature differences
When cold weather is approaching, some owners find that tortoises eat less so they use warm
water to soak the tortoise for feeding purposes. However, carelessness may result in a sudden
high temperature difference
Solution: Use a turtle heater set at 3 ° C above ambient temperature to bring the temperature into the living environment (cages or water) gradually over a minimum of 10 minutes, then continue to raise. 3°C and so on until desired temperature and feeding.
Note: After feeding, maintain that temperature until the turtle excretes feces to reduce
– The temperature must be accurate, buy a thermometer to facilitate the monitoring of the
– If there is a fairly large temperature difference inside and outside of the house, it is not
permitted to move turtles from the house to the outside or from outside to the house.
Take care when the Tortoise just comes back
– Upon receiving long distance turtles, do not drop them directly into deep water.
Leave them outside for 1-2 hours, add light water to the abdomen for about 1
session before releasing the turtle into a deep water.
– Turtle breeding water needs to be clean, preferably water from ponds and lakes, so
it can be kept immediately.
– The general area needs to be spacious, airy and have lots of natural light.
– Sun drying: sunbathe healthy tortoises daily for about one hour. When sunbathing,
keep the lower body submerged in the pool.
– Do not overfeed. Turtle feed can be meat, fish, shrimp, worms, insects,
– The tortoise has just arrived in it’s new home. For 1 or 2 days it should be tired +
stressed so you should limit contact. Leave it in the tank in a quiet place and drop
the food. After 2-3 days, the turtle will start eating normally and start being used to
the new environment.
How temperature affects a turtle’s health
Lung disease in turtles is a quite serious disease, the ability to cure is 50.50, if
detected as soon as possible. Turtles with diseased lungs may show signs like poor
swimming, deep water drowning, heat stroke, extreme cold or startle (this should be
Symptoms: Turtles become lethargic, they refuse to eat, extended floating on the
water,, they can not dive and climb up to lie down, wheezing, their eyes and nose
run a white fluid, and their nose exhale bubbles.
One may use one of two drugs: Clorocid or Klametin. Clorocid, also known as
abdominal pain medication in humans.
– If you see a turtle floating, don’t rush towards it. If the turtle is just emerging, has not started
eating and is not active, does not have any nasal discharge then apply this method:
Find a moderate plastic container, add a little warm water (27-29 degrees), about 1cm high. Put the turtle in there for 10 minutes, after the turtle has become accustomed to the environment, add warm water (temperature as above), pour slowly with both hands until the water is visible.
Add 1 stone enough for the tortoise to climb upon, drop a little salt into the water, place a heating lamp on the stone, a 30cm light (or stick your hand in after 4-5s to feel hot) DC), turn on the lights 24/24. Keep the water clean and monitor for 2 days, if you see the turtle sinking slowly to the bottom, more active and willing to eat, then the turtle ready.
– If turtle has a severe lung, look for a plastic box a little bigger than the turtle; low enough so the tortoise does not climb out, put the turtle in and pour water over the shell, drop in 3 chlorocid tablets. Illuminate the heating lamp into a plastic box and turn on 24/24. If turtles eat, they will go to separate tanks to avoid damaging drugs. Change the water the next day, add more medicine.